What is Microneedling?
Microneedling is one of the most exciting new cosmetic treatments available. During the treatment tiny needles are used to create thousands of pinpoint holes in the skin. This leads to improvement in uneven color, irregular texture, enlarged pores, acne scars, and fine lines and wrinkles. Microneedling is stronger than a facial or a light peel, but gentler than more aggressive laser treatments such as traditional fractional CO2 laser resurfacing. It is ideal for those who want to prevent premature aging or those desiring a simple maintenance treatment.
How does Microneedling work?
Microscopic holes are produced in the skin. Your body’s healing process reacts by stimulating collagen formation. Collagen is the protein in the skin that keeps the skin firm, tight, and youthful in appearance. As we mature over time, the levels of collagen in the skin decrease, leading to the formation of wrinkles and loose skin. The treatment stimulates your body for form it’s own natural, new, fresh, and healthy collagen, restoring the youthful radiance and firmness of the skin.
What conditions can be treated with Microneedling?
- Uneven color: dark spots, age spots, etc.
- Irregular or rough surface texture
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Loose skin
- Enlarged pores
- Acne scars
- Sun damage
- Stretch marks
What is the difference between traditional Microneedling and Ultra Microneedling?
Traditional microneedling works by using needles to physically create holes in the skin. Ultra microneedling creates the holes using a laser which has a number of advantages:
- Precision. Ultra Microneedling is more precise than traditional microneedling.
- Improved Results. Ultra Microneedling also creates heat in the skin, which helps to further stimulate collagen formation, leading to better results. Traditional microneedling does not create heat and does not stimulate as much collagen.
- Faster Recovery. The holes created with Ultra Microneedling are smaller than those with traditional microneedling; this allows for a shorter recovery period.
- Customization. With Ultra Microneedling a number of settings can be adjusted to customize the treatment for each individual. For example, the depth of the holes and space between holes can be adjusted, as well as the amount of heat generated. Ultra Microneedling is a medical grade treatment that is not to be performed by an aesthetician.
- No bleeding. When the laser is used, the heat generated prevents bleeding from occurring.
What areas can be treated with Ultra Microneedling?
Although the face is the most common area treated with Ultra Microneedling, it can be used to treat skin on any area of the body. Other common areas of treatment include the neck, chest, and backs of the hands.
How many Ultra Microneedling treatments will I need?
The number of treatments needed will vary from patient to patient. Most patients start with an initial series of six monthly treatments followed by one maintenance treatment every three months thereafter.
What will happen during the Ultra Microneedling treatment?
After the numbing cream is removed, the skin will be cleansed with solutions to sterilize and degrease the area. Your eyes will be protected with safety shields or glasses. Many people describe the sensation as the feeling of goosebumps on the skin. The procedure takes a few minutes.
Ultra Microneedling Treatment Demonstration
Will the Ultra Microneedling treatment be uncomfortable?
The procedure is gentle, noninvasive, and safe. At A E Skin we use a topical numbing cream for about 15 minutes prior to the Ultra Microneedling treatment to maximize your comfort. Unlike other offices, at A E Skin there is no extra charge for numbing cream and you do not need to arrive early to have the numbing cream applied.
What should I expect after an Ultra Microneedling treatment?
After an Ultra Microneedling treatment, the skin will be somewhat red and swollen for a few hours. Mild redness and swelling may persist for a few days or longer, depending on the settings used. We provide an aftercare kit to speed up the recovery process.
What aftercare do I need after an Ultra Microneedling treatment?
It is important to carefully follow the aftercare instructions. You will be sensitive to ultraviolet light and you must avoid direct sun exposure until completely healed. Fully cover your skin or use a sunscreen with SPF at least 30 with broad spectrum coverage every day. Avoid heat, alcohol, and exercise for at least 24 hours after the procedure, because this can draw blood to the skin and lead to unwanted side effects such as blisters and discoloration. The aftercare kit includes the Avene Thermal Spray Water and Elta MD Intense Moisturizer. The Avene Thermal Spray Water contains special minerals which helps with the recovery. Some people like to refrigerate it for more comfort. Spray the water onto the skin every few hours for the first three to seven days. While the skin is still damp, apply a thin layer of Elta MD Intense Moisturizer on the skin.
- Photorejuvenation Informed Consent Form, Treatment Questionnaire, and Aftercare Instructions A photorejuvenation informed consent form and laser treatment questionnaire must be signed by every patient receiving a laser photorejuvenation treatment.